Saturday, November 11, 2017

Rhys Martin - blogger and photographer from Tulsa, OK

Blogger and Photographer living in Tulsa, Oklahoma

Q: What do you do?

A: My day job pays the bills, but my passion is photography and writing.  I started keeping a travel blog in 2009 when I left the country and backpacked internationally for nearly a year.  When I started exploring Oklahoma and greater Route 66 in 2013, it was a natural transition.  I’m also a member of the Tulsa Route 66 Commission and the Oklahoma Route 66 Association.
At the restored Meadow Gold neon sign
in Tulsa, OK

Q: Tell me a little about your first contact with Route 66.
A: Well, I’ve lived near Route 66 most of my life.  I didn’t give it much mind until the summer of 2013 when I took the Mother Road from Tulsa to Miami, OK to see the Coleman Theatre.  It wasn’t until 2015 that I really fell into the Route 66 crowd and I’ve been a roadie ever since.

Q: What's your reason to stick with it to date?  
A: Route 66 represents a piece of American culture whose impact cannot be understated.  It is a summary of the 20th century, both the good and the bad.  Not only is it an amazing historic place, but the Route 66 of today is filled with amazing people and wonderful stories.  It continues to grow and changes, yet somehow stays the same.

Q: What do you like most about Route 66: a location, a person, a book, a place, a landmark ... What is it that still keeps you on the Mother Road? 
A: I think the answer above is a big part of it – I love sharing it with new people, locals and travelers alike.  I’ve made many friends and continue to make new ones, too.
Visiting the Painted Desert Trading Post
in eastern Arizona

Q: Do you have any inspirational quote or slogan that describes either you or what you do? 
A: Keep your eyes open, because you never know what you might be missing.

Q: Anything else that comes to your mind, that you would like to share with other Route 66 Travelers from around the world. Anything special for the German audience? 
A: Every community has a story.  From the Glenrio NM (population 1) to the great city of Chicago, every place Route 66 touches has had a unique journey.  There’s no such thing as “too much time” to explore Route 66.

Discover Tulsa: short video about Rhys Martin and his photography.



Rhys Martin - website and travel blog


Cloudless Lens Photography (Homepage featuring his photography and links to other sites) 

Rhys' Pieces (Blog about his travels through Oklahoma, Route 66 and beyond) 


Social Media Channels:

Facebook   |   Instagram   |  Twitter   |   Google+


Eine deutsche Version dieses Kurzinterview gibt's hier.


No comments:

Post a Comment